The Pike National Historic Trail Association depends on several sources of income. Dues and contributions provide a share of funds. We thank our members (especially Life Members) because they contribute to the general fund over and above their membership dues.
We have been able to secure 3 grants for specific projects. Grants have helped but are a challenge to secure. Businesses and towns have contributed to various projects both in funds and installation labor & materials. We thank our Corporate Members and Partners especially for yearly renewals.
No one in our organization earns a salary, because the work of the association is done “out of pocket”, or “in-kind”, by volunteers. Other organizational expenses are paid from your helpful contributions.
- This is a general area for giving to the Pike National Historic Association.$0 of $2,000 raised
- Our Federal legislation for a “Feasibility Study” (1st step) leading to eventual designation of the Pike National Historic Trail involves expenses at each step. The Pike Trail in Colorado effort required travel to Denver and several of the 17 counties involved. Expenses in encouraging the passage of legislation does incur costs in transportation and lodging. Expenses for our trips to Washington and Colorado counties were paid for “out of pocket” in the past. We would like to have a designated fund for these efforts. Our Cause and Committee Legislation$0 of $1,000 raised
- The creation and dissemination of a Newsletter or Blog does involve time of volunteers. The monitoring of comments of this Website’s Blog or social media (Facebook) does involve time of volunteers. There are costs in Website Management- Domain name, hosting, etc. We, in 2018, spent funds to renew this website, increasing the amount of information, bringing it into today’s world of Smartphones and pads and adding features. Should we hire a person to handle these tasks will cost money.$0 of $5,000 raised
- On Apr 10, 2017 Jim Bull donated an original 1810 Pike’s Exploration Journal to The San Luis Valley Museum in Alamosa, CO (pictured to the left.) Monty Pike has donated Pike Memorabilia to the same museum in past. Preservation of memorabilia and sites can be quite costly. Profit from our Marketing/ Merchandising is used for preservation. We ask that you consider donating to this fund.$0 of $1,900 raised
- In September 2008, we field surveyed Pike’s route from Missouri to Colorado for Auto-Tour and Hike/Bike routes. Since 2008 we have diligently investigated Pike’s route and likely encampment sites. By seeing the lay-of-the-land we have repeatedly said, “They had to go that way.” As examples: his route to climb Pikes Peak, his approach to the San Luis Valley stockade (as well as where it actually was) and so many other areas are almost 99% certain. Publishing Auto/Bike/Hike Route books with maps is costly. Sales will bring back some costs but funds are needed for start-up.$0 of $1,000 raised
- Work began on a Smartphone app. “Pike Legacy” several year ago. We need funds to complete the app and launch it. There are technical aspects in posting each article which are costly. Help us finish and launch this project.$0 of $5,000 raised
- The directional signage for the Pike Trail in Colorado is a cooperative effort with our Association, counties and towns. Size (suggested 2’x2’) and appropriate placement is being discussed. The logo above (with a directional arrow) has generally agreed on. We will need matching contributions in each county.$0 of $2,500 raised
- Interpretive and Route Guides are materials designed for handout about specific areas. They are generally three fold informational sheets of paper. Some towns and local businesses have indicated an interest in partial funding with their logo. Examples: Pike’s attempt to climb Pikes Peak, Pike’s experiences in central Kansas. Fort BelleFontaine, Following Facundo Melgares, Challenging the British (Cass Lake, MN), Challenging the Pawnee (Guide Rock, NE), Challenging the Spanish (Chihuahua, MX) Publishing these can be costly. Funds are needed for start-up.$490 of $1,500 raised
- We have identified 8+ sites for additional roadside panels to join the 16 installed in 2010. Two of them are at these proposed locations: NM/CO state border on US 285, and near the KS/CO state border on US 50 (HIGH VISIBILITY.) The original designer has again volunteered his time. We need approximately $1500 each for the sign, standard and materials for instillation.$0 of $2,500 raised
- Choose Pike Items which you would like to purchase. Ed French’s (former senior Disney artist) work is featured. The Children’s Coloring Book, greeting cards or posters would be a great gift to yourself or grandchildren. This donation is used to defray costs for advertising. Profit from our Marketing/ Merchandising is used for preservation.$0 of $1,500 raised