The Pike National Historic Trail Association had its birth in October 2007 following the Santa
Fe Trail Association Rendezvous in Trinidad Colorado. The Santa Fe Trail Association's
strivings to commemorate the Zebulon Pike Bicentennial in 2006 led to our Association's
efforts to establish the Pike National Historic Trail for the preservation and interpretation of
the 1806-7 Pike Southwest Expedition.
In our first year:
- The organizational features including Officers, Board of Directors, Bylaws were established early in 2008.
- Support of the Long Distance trail community; the Pike Family Association; and federal, state and local bodies was established in 2007 and early in 2008. Support of and partnership with our effort with individuals and entities continues to be established.
- A successful membership drive was begun in the spring of 2008.
- We received Nonprofit Charitable status in October 2008 from the IRS.
- Ten newsletters were published in our first year using articles written by noted Pike authorities.
- We have established Congressional sponsorship for legislation to begin a feasibility study by the Park Service, the first step in national nomination of the Pike footprint as a National Historic Trail.
- We began an effort to collect lists of Pike sites for interpretation and possible nomination as National Historic sites.
- Field surveying of an Auto tour route and Hike/Bike routes were begun in September.
We look forward to our first membership meeting in the spring in Cañon City Colorado.